Sunday, June 06, 2010

Head's Up

Wondering where I've been? Besides working my ass off more than any substitute teacher has probably ever worked (unless they happened to be a music ed sub taking bands to contest and getting a final concert ready in the wake of a teacher going on maternity leave after having her contract non-renewed, thus having her leave her messes behind once she was gone for everyone else to clean up, which also screwed over the students), my computer has died. Geek Squad at Best Buy said it was probably the motherboard crapping out and would take between $200-400 to fix. I don't have that money because I only got sub pay (I was ONE day away from being paid first year teacher pay for the six-week gig, but the final week was only four days instead of five) and I have other obligations to take care of.

They told me to maybe try a system restore or whatever it's called, where I go into safe mode and go back to a working system save point from before. I tried it twice and no can do. I don't have the discs to try the system reboot thing, where it resets everything back to factory settings or I would have tried that (never fear, I have backed up all of my files, including my fanfic chapters and ideas). I might call around to local repair shops and see if they might be able to figure it out and fix it for cheaper, or maybe point me in the right direction of a decent refurbished laptop for $400 or less, cause I might be able to swing that, if I'm careful. I have no idea, since I have to call SallieMae tomorrow and BEG for a forbearance or something on my loans since I do NOT have the money to shell out for loan payments right now, and forbearances cost money to have done or whatever. Urg. I need to find a job QUICK and I'm also freaking out about that since I haven't gotten any calls for interviews after having applied for a bunch of teaching jobs in my state as well as others. I'm really hoping that when everyone has told me that it's early yet, that July should be about when it starts, they are correct and I'm freaking for nothing.

So... How am I updating now? Since I still live at home, my parents are okay with me using their computer. I can't live on it like I could my laptop, which severely sucks, but I can get on it a couple of times a day if I try. However, since my grandpa is living with us for the month of June, and the computer is in the guest bedroom where he sleeps, AND I'm sharing the computer with two parents addicted to computer games, I can maybe, MAYBE get on once a day if I try. That hampers my writing time severely, especially when I have the urge and not the opportunity to get it out. I'll try to write things down as they come so that maybe I can get an update out when all is said and done, but I make no promises. I'll try my best, but no guarantees.

I do have a new phone with better web capabilities, so I'll still be on Twitter all the time and going on the web as I can, but until I can figure out an easier way to post to this blog, these updates will be few and far as well.

Thank you SO much for your patience and understanding, and for slogging through this rambling post. I can't say more, because grandpa is ready for bed, so I gotta get out. Save me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment