I wish I was writing this with better news about my life right now. Please don't be alarmed, nothing horrible has happened. In fact, nothing has happened at all, which is why I'm feeling completely helpless and on the verge of tears all the time lately.
My computer is still not fixed. I can't remember if I posted since I got it back, but I ended up taking it back from the repair shop without them fixing it because it had been almost a month since I took it there and nothing was being done to fix it. I had called three times and by the last call found out that the part had been ordered, but then canceled for some unknown reason. Why unknown? Because the guy who orders the parts AND does the internal repairs of the computers was on vacation in Canada with no cell service, and his brother/business partner has no clue about how to do any of that side of the business. I know that more than two people work there and you're telling me that the only guy who can do ANYTHING that's supposed to be done in a COMPUTER REPAIR SHOP is on vacation for two weeks? Why bother staying open at all while he's gone if nothing can apparently get done? So I picked it up and I've just forgotten to call anywhere else for pricing on repairs.
In the meantime I have been looking to see if I can get any deals on refurbished laptops or maybe open a credit line to get one through Toshiba or HP or whatnot, but since Apple refused me just to see if I could get an iPod, I doubt they'll give me anything for a computer.
As far as the job search? I keep applying all over the state, and even out of state, and nothing. I get an email from my former cooperating teacher (and number one reference on my applications) asking me if I've applied for any jobs. What does that tell me? No one I've applied to has even been interested enough to contact my references for the possibility of hiring me. I tell her that I've been applying and I'm getting really worried, and she tells me that I can always sub if no one hires me. I know I can sub teach again, but I didn't want to have to do that for another year if at all possible because no one respects a substitute teacher unless it's elementary school kids. I mean, come on, don't you remember being all excited about having a sub in school and trying to get away with stuff you can't normally get away with? Especially after the last high school I subbed for where the entire class just up and left for the cafe (which they KNOW they aren't supposed to go to under penalty of punishment by the principal if caught) and then had the nerve to get pissed at me because I reported them to their teacher, who took my side of the whole thing.
So anyway, I keep trying and hope that I get a last minute job or something. I know that's extra stress, but it's a job. It's difficult getting a summer job as well, because I have too much education and scare off employers because they don't want to pay someone more money because they have more education, or want to hire someone who's only had one job (in my defense I worked there for six years) and hasn't worked for four years (again, my defense is that with school, it was impossible to work). It's a very frustrating time for me, and others in my situation right now. My old roommate, who also graduated with me in the same career field, managed to get two interviews, but hasn't been hired either. Same deal with a friend of mine who student taught after me at the same district I'd been at. We picked an ever shrinking field and it's alarming that we may not have careers soon. It's also very difficult when schools want teachers with experience but no one will hire newbies to get any experience so they can get their foot in the door.
My ultimate back-up plan is that if I can get financial aid (which I doubt with the amount of student loans I owe) or an assistantship somewhere, I want to go to graduate school for special education. I've been interested since before I graduated with my bachelor's, but not enough to abandon music completely and switch over, and I KNOW that schools ALL OVER the place are always looking for special ed teachers or intervention specialists. We'll see how that goes.
Anyway, I have the computer, unhindered, all this week since my parents are out of town for the week to celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary, so MAYBE I can convince myself to write out at least chapter 11. I haven't outlined anymore chapters, but I have discussed a new plot bunny with my buddy Jayne_Rulis that I might turn into something when things are more settled and on the up-and-up for me. I'm sorry for the wait and I thank you guys so much for understanding. If I do get the chapter written this week, there are no guarantees it will be beta'd quickly, as Feisty is experiencing her own real life problems. Her housing situation has suddenly changed and she's dealing with the clean-up and moving process, so I won't harass her if I can help it.
Any good news with you guys? I do hope that things are going well for you and if not, I hope they get better for you soon. *HUGS*
No comments:
Post a Comment