“Lalalala, I can’t hear you talking about my best friend’s sex life, lalala,” I chanted, watching her fight not to smile at my behavior. While I considered Carlie a friend as a result of being Jake’s girlfriend, I did not think we were close enough for us to be comfortable sharing the intimate details of their relationship. Even though I wasn’t much more comfortable hearing Jake say anything about his and Carlie’s sex life, it didn’t feel as awkward. He also only made comments about it to annoy me, but never got into any gory details.
Carlie pulled my hands away from my ears, and I looked at her warily, arms at the ready to react if she insisted on telling me what I didn’t want to hear. “I’m just saying, we’ve never gone that long without before and if he’s not… you know… with me, then he must be getting it somewhere else.”
I tried not to cringe at the thought of Jake doing… you know… with anyone, especially not Carlie. “Ok, Carlie. Let me just say something. I know it probably doesn’t help much, but I’ve known Jake since we were kids, like, little kids. I know that he doesn’t get involved in anything unless he really cares, and I know he’s dated girls before. I can honestly tell you that you are the woman for him. I have never seen him treat another girl as well as he’s treated you, never cared so much for someone as I’ve seen him care about you. He wouldn’t fuck this up over some random chick and sideline sexy times. I honestly believe that whatever he is doing that is taking time away from your relationship is nothing as heinous or devious as you’re thinking. I’m sure he has his reasons for whatever and things will go back to normal very soon. Just trust Jake.”
“I do trust him,” she said, slumping onto the counter. “I trust him with my life, and I love him. I don’t know why I’m being so silly and thinking that whatever the hell he’s doing has to somehow be the worst-case scenario. Drama queen much, Carlie?”
I chuckled. “Don’t worry. I know it’s gotta be tough to have a great relationship and then something changes, and you can’t help but fear the worst. Just trust your gut about Jake. Is it telling you he’d do something like that?”
She shook her head. “No. I overreacted. I’m so sorry to have come here and bothered you about it, Bella.” She looked abashed. “I feel really stupid.”
Yep. That's part of Chapter 10! Yay! There's still some work to go on it, but it's coming along nicely. Since my grandfather is visiting this week to give my aunt a break, that means my mother is bothering me even more and hiding out in my room, so that makes it more difficult to get in "the zone". I'd hoped to have it done in time to let everyone know about my participation in the Support Stacie Auction to see if I could get bids, but it was not to be because of the aforementioned circumstances.
Speaking of Support Stacie, the April Author's Auction is now closed! Thanks to everyone who bid, and congratulations to my good buddy TabithaAbraham/knit1purr2 for being the winning bidder! She was bidding to get the next chapter of StWOM, but I talked her into considering something else, since I have the chapter mostly done and don't want her to waste her money on something like that. Once the details are banged out, I'll let you guys know what's up!
Happy reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment